Pink Mold: What Is Pink Mold And How To Treat It

Information about Pink Mold

Due to the humid environment created by these areas, Aureobasidium Pullaria fungi, also known as pink mold, is more common in caulk and damp windows frames, bathrooms and shower curtains.

It’s not always pink. It can look brown or black and it is easily confused with other species like black mold, or pergillus mold.

This bacteria is often mistakenly called Serratia marcescens. It produces a slimy, red pigment. This occurs when soap residue or shampoo buildup in the shower causes a pink or red biofilm.

Long-term exposure to pink mold poses health risks, just like all other molds. Eye, skin and nail infection are the most common symptoms. Although anyone can have an allergic reaction, it is more common for infants and elderly to experience severe reactions. Pets can also become ill from ingesting it or being exposed to it.

Avoid touching any type of mold without gloves.

Pink Mold: Where can it be found?

Pink mold thrives in areas with high moisture and is often found on damp surfaces. The best places to breed are those where moisture collects and isn’t usually swept up.

These are some examples of where you might find pink mold:

  • In the corners of showers and bathtubs, along tile grout lines
  • Vinyl or plastic shower curtains – look for pink stains
  • In toilets and sinks
  • Bath mats can be used on or under the floor
  • Bathroom mirrors and cabinets wall-mounted
  • Wallpaper for bathrooms and kitchens
  • Weatherstripping and caulking window sills
  • Under kitchen sinks, countertops or inside cabinets
  • In dishwashers and washing machine
  • Unemptied dehumidifiers and air conditioners

You can also find it in the carpet, under high-moisture areas or on the floor. You should inspect for any leaking or wet surfaces.

Are Pink Molds Dangerous?

If you’re exposed to mold for a long time, it can pose a risk to your health. It is easy to get into contact with pink mold because of its widespread nature and rapid growth.

Most healthy adults aren’t affected by pink mold. Infants, children, and the elderly are more at risk. Because the body can’t defend itself against infection, people with compromised immune systems could be affected. It can also be a problem for pets, as they may react in the air or through digestion.

Avoid the following symptoms and diseases caused by pink mold:

  • Allergy reactions such as sneezing and coughing, skin irritations, and eye irritations can include skin rash, sneezing, or sneezing.
  • Long-term lung inflammation can cause bronchitis and pneumonia.
  • Bladder infections, and Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)
  • Infections of the respiratory tract
  • Gastrointestinal conditions such as stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea

The symptoms of pink mold exposure can range from mild to severe. Chronic exposure to pink mold in humidifiers can lead to lung inflammation, which can raise your risk of developing other pulmonary conditions, such as heart and lung disease. It can infiltrate open wounds and orifices, which can lead to infections such as UTIs.

Pink Mold Removal

It’s not possible to completely remove pink mold and slime, but you can prevent it from returning by using a disinfectant on a clean surface. You can remove the slime from surfaces using a spray bottle containing dish soap and baking soda, as well as a scrub brush. To prevent any spores from spreading, clean the area with bleach or biocide after cleaning.

Avoid direct contact with mold and wear protective gear.

  • Gloves
  • Safety glasses or goggles for eye protection
  • Fine-particulate dust mask, or N95 respirator
  • Rubber boots
  • Disposable coversalls

Mold spores can get dislodged from clothing and attach to it. Disposable coveralls are advised. After you have completed mold removal, disinfect your personal protective equipment. If given the right conditions, even one mold spore may be able to start a new colony.

Mold can be removed from non-porous surfaces such as tiles and tubs, but it takes some effort. It’s much more difficult and sometimes impossible to remove mold from porous surfaces such as drywall and carpet. These materials should be removed and then replaced.

If you have a large case, it is best to contact a mold remediation specialist to safely remove the mold and create a plan to avoid future problems. To safely and effectively eliminate pink mold, trained professionals use disposal methods.

Preventing pink mold

It is best to stop pink mold growth by reducing the conditions that encourage it. The mold’s need for moisture can be reduced by controlling humidity and improving airflow.

These are some tips to keep pink mold away:

  • Keep humidity levels below 60%
  • Towel dry, squeegee or towel dry the bathtub walls and doors.
  • Clean up soap and shampoo residue
  • Every two weeks, wash off soap scum
  • You can wash and dry your bathmats and shower curtains monthly. Also, you can replace your plastic shower liners every so often.
  • Before you take a shower, turn on the bathroom fan and then leave it on for 20 mins.
  • Leaks should be identified and fixed immediately

Pink Mold Removal Services

Mold growth can be stopped by following regular cleaning procedures and avoiding recurring problems. Regularly inspecting your kitchen and bathroom for pink mold and reducing humidity will ensure that mold is not a problem.

If mold growth persists after you’ve tried to remove it yourself, it might be time to hire professionals. The cost of pink mold removal will vary depending on the extent of mold growth in your area and the prices in your region.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *