How Long Does It Take Mold To Grow After A Home Has Flooded?

Flooding, leaks, and high humidity can cause water damage to your home. This can also lead to mold growth. The restoration process can be complicated because mold can quickly grow after water damage. If not treated quickly and correctly, even a tiny amount of moisture can become a major mold problem.

Mold spores are tiny, invisible particles in the air that can cause damage to your home. Mold can cause health problems for its occupants if it invades your home. People with asthma or allergies can be particularly vulnerable to mold exposure.

You can prevent mold growth from happening in your home by acting quickly. It takes only a few minutes to get rid of the moisture that has allowed mold to grow. How quickly can mold grow after a flood?

How long does mold take to grow after a flood?

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that mold can grow in 24 to 48 hours after a flood, if the right conditions exist. It depends on the surface and type of materials used, as well as the amount of moisture and temperature. Indoors, mold grows faster on smooth surfaces that are darker and warmer than 70 degrees Celsius or higher, as well as in humider environments.

With time, the likelihood of mold spores spreading from one place to another increases. These microorganisms can rapidly fill your home with their spores and spread quickly, threatening your health and causing more problems.

Within 24 hours, mold spores can begin to grow on surfaces and become visible within 18 to 21 days. This happens even if the water has not been dried and the surfaces have not been restored.

It is important to address water and moisture problems as soon as possible after a flood. Major mold growth is less likely if you get rid of water quickly and dry out immediately.

Call a professional or DIY

A water damage restoration company is a good choice if you have water in your house. The right equipment is available to quickly dry your home.

If your home was inundated with sewage, a professional restoration company is essential to save it. This kind of water can be extremely dangerous and should only be handled by certified and trained water damage cleanup professionals.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *