Tile is becoming more popular in homes as a flooring option for kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms. They are elegant and provide a durable, easy-to-clean alternative to carpeting. Tile floors can get stained and worn over time. Tile floors can build up dirt and grime, which can stain and discolor your home’s decor. These are the most common causes of tile flooring discoloration and staining:
- Daily exposure to water and dust, dirt, or other liquid spillages
- Mold and mildew can be caused by high levels of moisture and inadequate ventilation
- Porous grout absorbs spills better
- Mopping, showering or bathing can cause soap scum to build up
How can homeowners maintain tile floors?
Although regular mopping and sweeping of tile floors is part of household cleaning, it often does not suffice to keep them clean. To keep tile floors shining, you need to give them extra tender loving care (TLC).
- To prevent grout or tile discoloration, clean up any spillages immediately
- Regularly sweep or vacuum the tile floor to remove any debris or keep it from drying on tiles or being ground into tile by foot traffic.
- To remove any detergent residues, wash the tile floor with water after sweeping it.
- Use mild chemicals such as bleach and other cleaners on tile floors to avoid damaging the sealant.
- To prevent mold and mildew, always rinse off the tiles of your bath after you have finished bathing.
Natural Ways to Clean Ceramic Tile
It is easy to bring back the shine in tile after professional cleanings. All you need are a few pantry items. These natural DIY solutions will make your tile sparkle again: Citrus Cleaner Combine orange peels (or any citrus peels) with a quarter of a quart white vinegar and allow it to sit for two weeks. Mix half of the citrus-vinegar solution and water in a spray bottle. Spray it onto your tile for cleaning. Use it on tiles, floors, fixtures, the kitchen, and bathrooms. It is easy to clean and has a pleasant odor.
Baking Soda Scrub
Baking soda can be used to remove stains. This DIY cleaning recipe will help you clean your tile floors: 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup liquid dish soap, 1/4 Cup baking soda, 2 gallons very warm water. For a fresh, clean scent, you can add a few drops lavender essential oil!
Mix equal amounts of white vinegar, water, and rubbing alcohol. Add 1/2 teaspoon. Add a few drops peppermint essential oils and 1/2 tsp. of liquid dish soap. You can use either a spray bottle or a bucket to spray onto the floor while you mop. Peppermint oil repels mice and ants, which is an added benefit!
Mold and Mildew Removal
Mix equal amounts of baking powder and lemon juice to combat mold growth on bathroom tiles or shower curtains. Apply the mixture to the affected area. After a few hours, rinse the water.
Kill the Germs
A simple way to clean your tile floor is to use a cupful of mouthwash and a gallon warm water. This combination works well for vinyl and tile flooring but not wood.
Be careful: Make sure you use only natural, non-toxic cleaners.